Open PhD position at the Coma Science Group
The Coma Science Group, directed by Pr. Steven Laureys, has an open position for a doctoral degree (4 years funding, with one year trial period). The project considers a joint PhD at the University of Liège and Hasselt University, and will be supervised by Pr. Laureys (ULg) and Pr. Pinxten (UHasselt). The candidate will be located at both the Coma Science Group – GIGA Research Centre and Neurology Department, University of Liège, and the Faculty of Medicine and Life Sciences, Hasselt University. The starting date is negotiable.
The applicant will investigate the Ethical, Legal and Social Issues (ELSI) of research in patients with disorders of consciousness (i.e., vegetative state/unresponsive wakefulness syndrome, minimally conscious state, locked-in syndrome). The research will include literature study, qualitative and quantitative research.
Successfully or nearly finished MSc (or equivalent degree graduates) in Bioethics, Law, Psychology, Biomedical Science, or a closely related field, with excellent grades and a strong interest in medical ethics and scientific research from an interdisciplinary perspective.
- Highly motivated candidate with strong interest in the ethical, legal and social aspects of medical research in patients with disorders of consciousness
- Proficiency in French and English, proficiency in Dutch is an asset
- Excellent knowledge of MS-Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Good statistical knowledge (SPSS, SAS, Statistica or R)
- Good skills in qualitative analysis (nVivo or ATLAS.ti)
- Capable of working independently at a multidisciplinary level, while engaging in close internal collaborations
- Research experience is an advantage
The application must include:
- One-page statement of motivation and research interests
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copies of educational certificates
- Names and contact details of 2 references
All documents should be in French or English. Any questions related to the position can be directed to Olivia Gosseries at the following: firstname.lastname@example.org or +32 4 366 39 15.